Get ready to descend beneath the surface of the Earth on this exploration of Lofthellir Cave and its stunning surroundings. Anyone daring enough to experience the underworld lookin...
Get ready to descend beneath the surface of the Earth on this exploration of Lofthellir Cave and its stunning surroundings. Anyone daring enough to experience the underworld looking for adventure in North Iceland shouldn’t hesitate in booking this excursion now.
Your adventure begins as you get picked up from Lake Mývatn and driven along rugged mountain roads until you reach the volcano Hverfell, just east of the lake. One of Hverfell’s most distinct features is its impressive crater with steep and rocky edges, only accessible by two paths as to protect the unique landscape of the mouth.
Then, get ready to pass through the crater row Lúdentaborgir, but these lunar landscapes were utilised as a training base for astronauts of the Apollo 11 mission during the 1960s space race. After driving th...
● This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition.
● To reach the cave is a 30-minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field.
● The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow, and guests need to crawl on all fours to enter.
● There are ice and water on the floor of the cave, and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to increase the journey time or cancel the tour.