Jump aboard this three-day excursion, to see the famous sites of the Golden Circle and South Coast, as well as Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon to explore a blue ice cave, glaciers, and to increase your chances of seeing the Northern lights. This tour should appeal to anyone looking to pack the best attractions in Iceland in just a few days.
On this tour, you will have the opportunity to see popular sites such as the Geysir geothermal area, Gullfoss waterfall, Þingvellir national park and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, which are world famous for a reason. You will also see all of the attractions on the south coast of Iceland, like the waterfalls Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss, and the black sand beach, Reynisfjara.
The experience of exploring an ice cave in Europe's largest glacier is what makes this tour even more special. Ice caves only form throughout the winter months, so only a few people are fortunate enough to be able to witness their beauty first hand.
By reserving this tour, your three days in Iceland will be fully organized for you. You need not worry about negotiating the winter road conditions or arranging your accommodation, everything will be taken care of! During your trip, you will stay at the best accommodation available, providing a comfortable and relaxing end to each day.
All equipment will be provided for the glacier hike and ice cave exploration. The only things you need to remember are your hiking shoes, warm clothes, a camera and your sense of adventure.
Book this action-packed and great value three-day, two-night, trip in a winter wonderland as soon as possible to avoid missing out. Check the availability by choosing a date.
You will be picked up from your accommodation, and from there, set out to explore the most popular tourist trail in Iceland: the Golden Circle. Three sites make this trail world-famous, all of which you will get the chance to visit.
The first of these is Þingvellir National Park, the only UNESCO World Heritage Site on the Icelandic mainland. Sitting directly between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, it is an area of fascinating geology and stunning nature; it is the best place in the world to see the edges of these continents. It is also the original site of what is now the world’s longest-running, ongoing parliament. The Alþingi that was formed here in 930 AD and still continues in Reykjavík today.
The second site you will visit is the Geysir Geothermal Area. The largest geyser here, Geysir, gave all others around the world their name. It is mainly inactive these days, but the nearby Strokkur erupts every 5-minutes or so, blasting water as high as 30-metres. The surrounding area is beautiful, with the earth dyed in the colours of the elements, and many hot springs dotted around.
The third and final classic location on the Golden Circle is Gullfoss. Otherwise known as ‘the Golden Waterfall’, this feature is iconic. Tumbling down two steps into a dramatic ravine, its scale and might are mesmerising. There are several viewing platforms that you can admire it from; in good weather, one opens right beside where it’s falling.
As you head in for the night, keep an eye on the skies for the Northern Lights.
Following your time here, you will head onto the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon. This is often referred to as the crown jewel of Iceland’s nature. Here, hundreds of icebergs litter a serene lake, creating an otherworldly spectacle. When these bergs eventually make it out of the lagoon, they wash up on the nearby shore, lending it its name, the Diamond Beach.
You will spend the night in the Jökulsárlón area.
On your second day, you will explore the South Coast of Iceland. This area is famed for its wealth of landmarks and dramatically diverse scenery, all of which is visible from the road as you drive.
The first places you will stop at are two impressive waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss. Between these waterfalls, you may see Eyjafjallajökull, the sub-glacial volcano that erupted in 2010 and famously halted European air traffic.
After this adventure, you will continue exploring the wonders of the South Coast. The next stop is the black sand beach Reynisfjara, which is renowned for its fascinating geology, with the Reynisdrangar sea stacks and Dyrhólaey rock arch. After a short stop in Vík, you will continue onto the spectacular Vatnajökull National Park.
Your next stop, however, will be at Skaftafell, by Vatnajokull glacier where you will be hiking. When here, you will be provided with all your equipment, and receive a safety briefing. Following this, you will ascend the glacier, and be rewarded with some spectacular views. The colour, shape and scale of the ice is awe-inspiring, and you will be told all about the history, future and science of the glaciers.
Following your time here, you will head onto the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon. This is often referred to as the crown jewel of Iceland’s nature. Here, hundreds of great icebergs litter a serene lake, creating an otherworldly spectacle. When these bergs eventually make it out of the lagoon, they wash up on the nearby shore, lending it its name, the Diamond Beach.
You will spend the night in the Jökulsárlón area.
On your third day, you will get to explore one of the magnificent ice caves of Vatnajökull glacier. These incredible natural features only appear over winter and are weather-reliant, so the chance to enter one is an incredibly rare opportunity. You will be provided with crampons and helmets, before following your guide into this ethereal space.
Once you have revelled in the beauty of the ice caves, you will return to your van and return to Reykjavík. This drive is long but promises to be spectacular. Your guide will point out anything that you missed the day before.
You'll arrive in the city in time for a late dinner, giving you plenty of time to enjoy the famous Reykjavík nightlife. It is highly recommended that you do not plan to fly out the same night in case of any delays or bad weather. Enjoy the charms of Iceland's capital and visit one of its many restaurants and bars.
- Customers travelling on their own will receive a single room. Reservations for 2 people will be allocated a double room. For bookings of 3 or more, triple rooms will automatically be allocated. For example, a group of 8 will receive 2 triple rooms and 1 double. If these arrangements do not meet your requirements, please contact the provider.
- The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon, and therefore cannot be guaranteed, but this itinerary is designed to maximise your chances to see them if weather allows. Please be advised that there is no specific Northern Lights hunt on this tour, but your guide will notify you if the conditions are favourable and advise you on how to best spot them
- It can happen, in the case of extreme weather, that an activity is cancelled. If your chosen activity is cancelled, we will assist you with rearranging or booking other activities when possible, and any potential price difference will be refunded to you.
- Please note that only pick up and drop-off from designated pick up locations in the greater capital area is available, not from Keflavík International Airport. Therefore, we do not recommend attempting to start this tour on your arrival day in Iceland. Arrival time back to Reykjavík at the end of your tour can vary depending on weather and traffic.
- It is highly recommended that you do not book your flight home the same night as bad weather or delays could affect your journey. Please be sure to arrange accommodation for this evening and an airport transfer the next day to take you to Keflavík International Airport for your departure.
- For your convenience, it is recommended that you pack lightly for this tour, in a small bag or backpack. If you have large luggage with you, please check with your accommodation if they offer luggage storage for your time on this tour. If that is not a possibility, you can store your luggage at our office for a small fee.
- No minimum age. However, 8 year old is the age limit for glacier hike and ice caving. If children under those ages are on the tour then an adult needs to stay with them while others do these activities.
Due to increased demand for travel services in Iceland and low availability, travel companies in Iceland can not guarantee specific accommodations. However, we can always provide you with the best available accommodation at the time of your booking. Below you can see our preferred partners for accommodation. For the first night, they are Hótel Hvolsvöllur and Hótel Eyjafjallajökull. For the second night, they are Hótel Höfn and Hótel Vatnajökull. In the case of these hotels not being an option, an alternative of the same standard will be arranged.
Standard bedrooms with private bathroom in 3 star hotel in Hvolsvöllur. Breakfast is included.
Standard bedrooms with private bathroom in a country hotel on the south coast of Iceland. Breakfast is included.
Standard bedrooms with private bathroom in 3 star hotel in the largest town in southeast Iceland. Breakfast is included.
Standard bedrooms with private bathroom in 3 star hotel close to Höfn. Breakfast is included.