Skaftafell Glacier Hiking Tour on Vatnajokull
Join a glacier hike along Iceland’s awe-inspiring South Coast at Skaftafell. This is the perfect way to add excitement to your holiday by hiking on top of an outlet glacier of Vatnajökull, Europe's largest glacier. This exciting tour is perfect for those travelling the South Coast of Iceland who want to combine incredible landscapes with a thrilling adventure.
A stop at Skaftafell is a must for travellers on Iceland’s south shore. It is a stunning area of amazing contrasting scenery where enormous white glaciers are surrounded by jet black sands. Scaling one of Iceland’s mighty glaciers is a once in a lifetime opportunity that should not be missed and this tour will allow you to hike up a glacier tongue of the largest glacier in Europe.
You will meet your certified glacier guide by the company's trailer 150 metres south of the Skaftafell Visitor Center. They will give you all the necessary equipment and then take you on a short 15-minute drive to the glacier tongue, where you will receive all the equipment and knowledge necessary to scale the massive ice cap. You’ll learn all the basics of glacier hiking before heading out on the ice.
On this tour, you will be given the unique opportunity to hike up an incredible glacier and see it's constantly changing environment firsthand. Your expert guide will lead you through this frosty wilderness, past magnificent ice formations, deep cracks and blue crevasses. Standing on top of the glacier might give you a feeling of being alone in the world, surrounded by nothing other than the blinding whiteness of the glacier.
Once you reach the ice cap, you’ll get plenty of time to marvel at the surrounding landscape and take in the views. During this tour, on a clear day, you might see the magnificent Hvannadalshnúkur, the country’s highest peak. The views of the incredible Icelandic terrains from atop this mighty glacier is a truly breathtaking experience.
Discover the ancient and untouched wilderness of Vatnajökull glacier and the surrounding areas. Book now to secure your place on this unforgettable glacier hiking tour.
Check availability by choosing a date and book this once in a lifetime experience.
What to bring
Good to know
- This tour doesn't require prior experience and can be done by most people irrespective of physical condition.
- It is 3 hours in total including gearing up and a bus ride to the glacier, where you will spend around 1,5 hours on the ice.
- Bring hiking boots that are tight around the ankle and with a hard sole, or you can rent shoes during the booking process.
- The tour starts in Skaftafell, which is located around 4.5 hours drive from Reykjavík 327km (203 miles) eastwards.
- The nearest towns to Skaftafell are Kirkjubæjarklaustur, 69km to the west of it, and Höfn, 130km to the east of it.