Add some excitement to your holiday and come along on an exhilarating glacier hike on top of an outlet glacier of Vatnajökull, Europe's largest glacier. This exciting tour is perfect for those travelling the south coast of Iceland and want to combine incredible landscapes with a thrilling adventure.
A stop at Skaftafell is a must for travellers on Iceland’s south shore. It is a stunning area of amazing contrasting scenery; where enormous white glaciers are surrounded by jet black sands. Scaling one of those glaciers is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that should not be missed, and this tour will allow you to hike up a glacier tongue of the largest glaciers in Europe.
You will meet your certified glacier guide by the company's trailer 150 meters south of the Skaftafell Visitor Center. They will give you all the necessary equipment and then take you on a short 15-minute drive to the glacier tongue, where you will receive all the equipment and knowledge necessary to scale the massive ice cap. You’ll learn the basics of glacier hiking before heading out on the ice.
On this tour, you will be given the unique opportunity to hike up a glacier and see firsthand it's constantly changing environment. Your expert guide will lead you through this frosty wilderness, past incredible ice formations, deep cracks and blue crevasses. Standing on top of the glacier might give you a feeling of being alone in the world, surrounded by nothing other than the blinding whiteness of the glacier.
Once you reach the ice cap, you’ll get plenty of time to marvel at the surrounding landscape and take in the views. During this tour, on a clear day, you might see the magnificent Hvannadalshnúkur, the country’s highest peak.
Discover the ancient and untouched wilderness of Vatnajökull glacier surrounding areas. Book now to secure your place on this unforgettable glacier hiking tour. Check availability by choosing a date.
- This tour doesn't require prior experience.
- It is 3 hours in total including gearing up and bus ride to the glacier. Around 1,5 hours on the ice.
- Hiking boots should be tight around the ankle and have a hard sole. You can rent shoes during the booking process.
- Skaftafell is located around 4 hours and 30 minutes from Reykjavík 327km (203 miles). The nearest towns to Skaftafell are Kirkjubæjarklaustur, 69km to the west and Höfn, 130km to the east.
- Since May 1st, the meeting point is at Skaftafell Terminal Tour Center by the main road.