The Laugavegur hiking trail, which lies between the geological paradise of Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk nature reserve, has been hailed as one of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world. It is in total about 54 km long, very well marked, and traditionally takes 3 or 4 days to finish. The trail takes you through an exceptionally varied landscape, starting with the multicolored rhyolite mountains, hot springs and expansive lava fields of Landmannalaugar, and then ending in Þórsmörk – an oasis of natural green birch woods in midst of three glaciers, Tindfjallajökull, Mýrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull. On the way are black sandy deserts, white snowy areas, multiple hot springs, lakes as smooth as mirror glass, mountains in all shapes and different colours, and several unbridged rivers which the hikers need to wade by foot.
As the roads to both Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk are F-marked, meaning they are quite difficult mountain roads only for well equipped 4x4 cars, they are not open all year round. The Icelandic Road Authority decides when they can be opened, which they usually both are between mid-June and mid-September. Traditionally the Laugavegur trail is only used during this short period of each year, since at other times the trail is both inaccessible and very challenging.
Those hikers who are on their own can either stay in mountain huts, which tend to get fully booked very quickly, or on camping grounds. And they usually need to carry on their backs all of the equipment they will need for the whole 3 or 4 days. However, what we offer is an all inclusive guided tour – with experienced Icelandic trekking guides. On day 1 we will pick you up to your accommodation in Reykjavík, and get you on one of our daily highland buses to Landmannalaugar where you will meet your group. Included is full board, starting with lunch on day 1 - ending with lunch on day 5, along with accommodation in the mountain huts. And possibly the best part - we offer transportation of your luggage between the huts, which means you only have to carry what you are going to need for each day‘s hike. When the tour is finished, the group takes one of our daily highland buses back from Þórsmörk to Reykjavík. Our tours have guides speaking English, German and Italian.
Dates for our tours summer of 2020:
1. Begins on 26th of June … ends on 30th of June ... Language: English
2. Begins on 03rd of July … ends on 07th of July ... Language: German & English
3. Begins on 10th of July … ends on 14th of July ... Language: English
4. Begins on 17th of July … ends on 21st of July ... Language: German, Italian & English
5. Begins on 24th of July … ends on 28th of July ... Language: English
6. Begins on 31st of July … ends on 04th of August ... Language: German, Italian & English
7. Begins on 07th of August … ends on 11th of August ... Language: English
8. Begins on 14th of August … ends on 18th of August ... Language: English
Cancellation policy: If you cancel your Laugavegur trekking tour with at least 2 weeks notice we will fully refund your purchase. If you cancel your tour between 1 and 2 weeks prior to departure we will refund 50%.
– The accommodation on the Laugavegur trail is in traditional Icelandic mountain huts, where hikers share a kitchen, bathrooms, and sleeping area in bunk beds. This in itself is an essential experience when visiting Iceland - since local hikers and foreign visitors have been using huts like these when exploring the Icelandic highlands for decades.
– The minimum number of participants in each trip is 6 persons, and the maximum is 12.
– Accommodation in Reykjavík is not included.
– We strongly advice travelers to purchase health and accident insurance before the tour.
– Your safety is our primary concern – so we kindly ask you to observe safetravel.is.
– In the unlikely event of a weather storm or other irregularities out of our control, we might be forced to make changes to the itinerary.