Descend into the earth on a tour of the lava cave of Lofthellir and the peculiar world of darkness there, in the icy underground. The destination for this trip is a unique cave boa...
Descend into the earth on a tour of the lava cave of Lofthellir and the peculiar world of darkness there, in the icy underground. The destination for this trip is a unique cave boasting some of the greatest natural ice sculptures known to exist in Iceland.
You’ll be picked up from your accommodation for a short flight from Reykjavík Domestic Airport to Akureyri, Iceland's second largest town, also called “The capital of the North.”
Akureyri is a beautiful city you may want to get to know on its own: there are many activities and opportunities to be found in the surrounding countryside, which is surprisingly lush in the summertime. Other activities such as horseback riding and whale watching are available, or you can choose something relaxing, such as a walk around the beautiful botanical...
● This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition.
● Not recommended for people with knee or hip problems
● To reach the cave is a 30 minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field.
● The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow and guests need to crawl on all fours to enter.
● There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C. ● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour