Top 18 Winter Self Drive Tours
- ATV & Buggy Tours
- Airplane Tours
- Biking Tours
- Boat Tours
- Caving Tours
- Combo Deals
- Culture Tours
- Diving Tours
- Dog Sledding Tours
- Fishing Tours
- Glacier Tours
- Helicopter Tours
- Hiking Tours
- Horse Riding Tours
- Ice Climbing Tours
- Photo Tours
- Rafting Tours
- Sightseeing Tours
- Skiing Tours
- Snorkelling Tours
- Snowmobile Tours
- Super Jeep Tours
- Surfing tours
- Whale Watching & Puffin Tours
Frequently Asked Questions
Winter Self Drive Tours in Iceland
Winter Self Drive Tours exist for drivers confident on icy roads, allowing them to travel Iceland by themselves, following an itinerary prepared for them by local experts at Guide to Iceland. Your accommodation, vehicle and any tours you want to join will be booked for you prior to arrival.
1. Do I need a 4x4 in to drive the ring road or drive to North Iceland?
Yes, we recommend 4x4 cars in winter. For shorter and easier routes, we offer the option of a 2WD, although it is always best to choose a 4WD for winter travel in Iceland.
2. Does the car have winter tires?
Between November and March, all cars in Iceland come with winter tires by law.
3. Will the tires on the car be studded/have spikes/nails?
Car rentals are not required to have studded tires, but they have to fit their vehicles with winter tires.
4. Can we rent chains?
No, chains are unfortunately illegal in Iceland.
5. What happens if the roads are closed or the weather is so bad that I arrive late to a tour or cannot make it to the meeting point?
We will try our best to assist you with all necessary arrangements, but they will depend on the availability of hotels and/or tours. If we need to book new hotels or tours, there might be extra charges. We always, however, try to do this without any additional cost to the customer.
6. Will I be safe if I have no winter driving experience and have never driven in snow?
Icy roads can be tricky to navigate. We only recommend self-drives in winter for those with experience. If you want to try nonetheless, we recommend staying in South Iceland. We also offer guided packages in mini-buses with English guidance. Many of these guided packages take you through the most popular self-drive routes.
7. What is included in your packages?
Please see the "Quick Facts" tab under the tour description as each package is different.
8. What insurances are included?
CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), SCDW (Super Collision Damage Waiver) and GP (Gravel Protection).
9. Does the car have a GPS?
10. How do we find the meeting points for tours, hotels and sightseeing locations?
We provide the address and the GPS coordinates on the daily itinerary.
11. In winter there are fewer daylight hours than in summer. Will I have time to see all the points of interest?
We take this into consideration when planning your trip. We are locals and we book your tours to make sure you see the best in the given conditions.