Climb down into a world of dazzling ice amid lava rock colored by mineral deposits on this day tour of Lofthellir lava cave and its peculiar world of darkness, icicles and buried w...
Climb down into a world of dazzling ice amid lava rock colored by mineral deposits on this day tour of Lofthellir lava cave and its peculiar world of darkness, icicles and buried wonders.
You’ll begin in Akureyri and be whisked away to explore a unique cave boasting some of the greatest natural ice sculptures known to exist in lava caves in Iceland. But that’s not all – first you’ll gain an appreciation for the way these caves and other features of the Icelandic landscape are created, in a furious dance between fire and water. When a volcano erupts, the lava pours over the landscape. When it reaches a river, the cooler temperatures of the water meeting the lava cause an explosion, which often tears apart the landscape by creating steam vents.
You'll drive to Lake Mývatn, where you'll...
● This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition.
● Not recommended for people with knee or hip problems
● To reach the cave is a 30 minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field.
● The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow and guests need to crawl on all fours to enter.
● There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour