Experience the lunar-like landscapes of the Icelandic Highlands on this tour of the Askja Caldera in North Iceland. Any avid hikers looking to behold some of the most exotic scenes this Earth has to offer should secure their spot on this adventure now.
Your adventure begins as you get picked up from the Lake Mývatn area and meet your local guide and travel companions. Then, it is time to leave civilisation behind and head to the central highlands of Iceland, where the panoramas at hand should be unlike anything you’ve ever seen.
The Askja Caldera made itself known to the Icelandic nation and the world when it so explosively erupted in 1875 that clouds of ash reached all the way to Norway and Sweden, forcing many farmers to abandon their homes.
The otherworldly landscapes around the caldera are also famous for having been a training site of the NASA space program, as astronauts were trained there to prepare them for humanity’s first trip to the moon during the 1960s space race.
Besides from venturing across this unbelievable terrain, you will also be visiting the iconic landmarks of Herðubreiðalindir, an oasis in the middle of the highland desert, and Drekagil, the ‘Dragon’s Gully’—a dark and narrow canyon dotted with geological rock formations.
You will also be venturing off the beaten path to see a number of hidden Highland places. Catch a glimpse of ancient hiding spots of legendary Icelandic outlaws or meet the ghosts of the two German scientists who disappeared without a trace a century ago when studying Öskjuvatn—Iceland’s second deepest lake at 220 metres.
Rest assured you will have the whole day to take in the sights of your surroundings and enjoy an array of fantastic photo opportunities. Book your Highland adventure now and get to know the powers of Askja. Check availability by choosing a date.
● The tour includes a fair amount of walking so warm clothes and good shoes are recommended.
● Due to weather and/or road conditions, we may have to alter the itinerary, increase the journey time or cancel the tour.
● During the tour we break for refreshments at a café, the stop is however quite late on the tour. We therefore recommend a pre-packed lunch
● Please note that we will be travelling to the Icelandic Highlands and that the weather can change unexpectedly. Please be prepared for that and dress accordingly. Bring waterproof clothing and layers of wool or fleece sweaters and undergarments.
● There are no shops in the Icelandic Highlands, please bring lunch and snacks.